Wednesday, August 10, 2011

D&D Encounters Was Totally Fun

Well, color me surprised. Pretty much every time I go to play D&D at a store with strangers, things can get a little... well, awkward. My friends are all well-versed in the tale of Dwarftosser the Catpissman, the first catpissman I'd ever met, who tossed my dwarf because he hit some monsters with a magic missile. My S.O. and I had a very uncomfortable game at the comic store in the dirt mall near us, and we vowed to never go back again.

But we've been hankering for some D&D, so tonight we went to Game Masters in Pittsburgh for Encounters.

Shit was awesome.

While we were a little upset at being restricted to Essentials material for characters, we had some fun, and my Elf Slayer, Tyrinbaine the Fell, scored a massive 27 points of damage on one of the monsters in one hit. Ratcheting up those Renown points was a ton of fun, and our group was really nice. There was a little awkwardness at the table, but we were all in a light-hearted mood, so everyone laughed at the idea of racist horses and sewer-dwelling hipsters that the DM ad-libbed into the game.

I am totally going back next week. It's a little sad that the game is, well, one encounter, but we had a great group dynamic, and everyone shook hands at the end of the game. Nobody died, and we kicked total ass.

Now, if only it wasn't set in the Forgotten Realms...

No comments:

Post a Comment